Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 1

For English class, we have to do a Genius Hours Project. I'm not creative in answering questions so this first post will be boring. Bless you if you read the whole thing.

What am I researching?
My goal is to research what wording and language I should use to be respectful towards people with disabilities. I also want to talk about how our media uses "female poet" and "female athlete" to discuss women, but only uses "poet" and "athlete" to discuss men. I don't believe my gender makes my accomplishments any more or less amazing.

What do I want to learn?
 I hope to learn the best ways to respect those around me when I am describing them, and spread awareness about those ways.

Why that topic?
I have a love for children and adults who have special needs and I want to be able to make a difference in the way others view and talk about them. I also would like to change how the media views women and people of other races.

People with special needs are not special because of their disability. They're special because they're human.

No comments:

Post a Comment